SPC logo





MEMBERS: Cllr V Wright (Chairman), Cllr J Vine-Hall (Vice-Chairman), Cllrs Roy Chapman, Rod Eldridge, Pauline Glew, Julian Heap, Pat Martin, Jenny Mitchell, John Reynolds

Open Forum
County Councillor Jones invited to speak
District Councillor Ganly invited to speak

PCSO Demitrius Georghiou invited to speak

NB Minutes and other documents can be accessed through the internet by clicking on the coloured font.
C11/12.106 Apologies and reasons for absence. Council to consider approval of members' reasons for absence.

Interests. To receive disclosures of personal and prejudicial interests from Councillors on matters to be considered at the meeting in accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct 2007. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest. NB - By 01/07/12, new regulations in connection with the Localism Act 2011 and a revised Code of Conduct are expected to be in force. See 113.5 below for further information.


If a member becomes aware, during the course of a meeting, of an interest that has not been disclosed under this item he/she must immediately disclose it. They may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is prejudicial.


A personal interest is prejudicial if a member of the public with knowledge of the relevant facts would reasonably regard it as so significant that it is likely to prejudice a member's judgement of the public interest and it relates to a financial or regulatory matter.


Members are reminded to repeat the declarations when the items are announced by the Chairman.

C11/12.108 Prejudiced members' participation. Chairman to ask prejudiced members whether they wish to make representation, answer questions or give evidence to the Council with regard to items on the agenda. At the Chairman's discretion, members will be allowed to make their representations etc. at the beginning of the appropriate agenda item and to leave the meeting during the representations made by the public and the deliberations of the Committee.
C11/12.109 Public participation session. Chairman to ask any members of the public whether they wish to make representation, answer questions or give evidence with regard to items on the agenda. At the Chairman's discretion, the public will be allowed to make their representations etc. at the beginning of the appropriate agenda item, after prejudiced members' participation. The Chairman should inform the public that their names will be recorded and representations etc. minuted.
Minutes. To resolve: That the Chairman of the Council is authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 10/01/12.
C11/12.111 Minutes of Meetings of Committees
  1. Planning Committee. To Resolve: That the Minutes of the Meetings of the Planning Committee held on 21/02/12 are received.
  2. Emergency Committee. To Resolve: That the Minutes of the Meeting of the Emergency Committee held on 17/01/12 are received.
C11/12.112 Reports from representatives. To receive reports as follows:
  1. Rother Association of Local Councils.
  2. Village Hall Trust
  3. Sports Association
  4. Tree Warden
  5. NHW representative
  6. Transport representative
  7. Any other representative

To receive the Clerk's Report.

  1. Use of Village Green for Leap Year proposal.
  2. Inclusion of Fred Hyland (born in Sedlescombe in 1893) in a book about cricketers who played just one first-class match. The book is called "Brief Candles" published by The Association of Cricket Statisticians & Historians.
  3. Inclusion of Sedlescombe geese in an article in "The Countryman".
  4. Letter in Battle Observer of 24/02/12 re a cup held in Australia by Dave Dengate engraved "2nd Prize Sedlescombe Marathon Race 1921" and awarded to his grandfather Albert George Edward Dengate.
  5. New Code of Conduct in accordance with the provisions of the Localism Act 2011 (see Briefing Note 6 Code of Conduct).
C11/12.114 Finance
  1. Bank Reconciliations. To approve bank reconciliations at the end of January and February 2012.
  2. Cheques. To ratify the February cheque list and approve the March cheque list.


  1. To note that Sedlescombe Parish Council has a training credit note with Sussex Association of Local Councils for £150 excl. VAT.
  2. To note that free "fuel poverty training" is available from Action in rural Sussex. Applications to zoe.ganderton@ruralsussex.org.uk or on 07786 980 715 by end March.

Magazines/newsletters. To note receipt of the following magazines/newsletters:

  1. Clerks and Councils Direct.
  2. The Clerk March 2012.

Consultations. To consider the following consultations

  1. Review of rural library services. To consider library services in Sedlescombe. The County Council is currently reviewing services to rural areas and mobile libraries. There are two online surveys - one for individuals (the survey form can also be printed) and the other for local groups, parish councils and small businesses. Parish councils, groups and small businesses are being asked whether the current level of provision fits into the needs of the local community and whether these groups are willing to help improve the situation eg funding, a site, technology, volunteers etc. Comments can be submitted up to 21/05/12.

    East Sussex County Council provides 24 main libraries, 2 mobile libraries (including a short visit to the Brede Lane area of Sedlescombe every 2 weeks) and two village libraries (including an hour a week at Sedlescombe VH run by volunteers from the Village).

  2. East Sussex, South Downs and Brighton & Hove Waste and Minerals Plan. To note that a shortened version of the Proposed Submission Plan dated February 2012 has been received. Comments on the soundness of the Plan can be submitted up to 10/04/2012.

Aim 1 To achieve an Informed and Participating Sedlescombe Community

  1. Community Friends Project. To appoint a Council representative to the steering group.

  2. Superfast Broadband. To approve a report dated 04/03/12 (hard copy delivered to councillors) for submission to East Sussex County Council in support of the Sedlescombe's contribution to the East Sussex County Council's Local Broadband Plan.

  3. Parking on grass verges. To consider a request from a resident for a letter to be sent to every household asking them not to park, or allow their visitors to park, on grass verges in the parish. (Request follows the parking of a large vehicle on a grass verge in Park Shaw.)

  4. Dog excrement. To consider a complaint from the person emptying our litter bins that people are depositing dog excrement in them even when they are next to a dog bin.

  5. Celebrating Community Transport. To note that AiRS has been commissioned by ESCC to facilitate an event to celebrate Community Transport in East Sussex. The aim of the events is to promote the services to new users, attract volunteers and recognise the achievements of those currently involved. The week commencing 16 July has been pencilled in but not confirmed.

  6. Flag. To note that a new Sussex Flag has been sent to all 261 Sussex local councils (including Sedlescombe) together with a request from the donors, Rampion of Sussex and The Association of British Counties, for the flag to be displayed in the parish in celebration of Sussex and its traditions. Sussex Day on Saturday 16 June 2012 is particularly mentioned.

Aim 2 To achieve a Safe and Healthy Sedlescombe Community

  1. Core Strategy. Allocation of places at Sedlescombe School (please see the Clerk's briefing note). To note correspondence between the Clerk and Cllr Jones and the Head of Children's Services at ESCC.

  2. Parking in Brede Lane. To receive a report of the meeting held on Monday 05/03/12 with Sarah Shepherd (Senior Planning Officer) and Chris Stanyard (ESCC) in Brede Lane.

  3. Brede Lane car park.
    1. Snow and Ice. To note requests made to the Parish Council in February from the School headteacher and a resident who accesses his garage from the car park for the area to be cleared of snow and ice. The County Council had told the headteacher it was the Parish Council's responsibility. The Clerk told Mrs Ham to contact Rother DC, owners of the car park. Rother DC refused to help. To consider the statement of the Leader of Rother DC's following complaints about non-clearance of Battle Car Park of ice and snow in February and the Parish Council's future reaction.
    2. Proposed devolution according to Battle Observer. To consider implications for proposed devolution of car park (and public conveniences) from Rother District Council to the Parish Council despite Sedlescombe Parish Council not wishing to take them over.
    3. Proposed extension of the car park.
      1. To note Mrs Ham's disappointment expressed in her letter dated 17/01/12 that the Parish Council cannot assist in purchasing the land so that the car park can be extended not only for the School but also for the benefit of other local events.
      2. To note that, at the meeting of the new School Travel Group on 09/02/12, the Parish Council representative (Cllr Glew) was asked if the Parish Council would contact Paul Thomas regarding the cost of purchasing or leasing land adjacent to the car park. Mrs Ham had already been informed that the Council had decided not to become involved in this project.
    4. Proposed alterations to the car park. What is the Council's view on making the car park one way and possibly providing a new exit/entrance through the grassed area if funding could be obtained? The creation of a layby for parking by removal of the grass verge adjacent to Brede Lane between the Doctors' Surgery and Gammons Way might also be put on the "wish list" although this was not proposed at the meeting.

  4. Possible re-opening of rear entrance of School. To consider the following issues raised in Mrs Ham's reply of 17/01/12: request for the Parish Council to help with a gate with padlock and sorting out the muddy sections of the path from East View to the rear entrance to the School. Surfacing the public footpath as through Red Barn Field could be acceptable.

  5. Staggering of leaving times of pupils. To note that Mrs Ham's letter of 17/01/12 states this is out of the question.

  6. School position in the Village. To note Mrs Ham's disappointment that the suggestion was made at a Council Meeting that the Primary School might need to consider moving onto another site (eg Pestalozzi) because it has outgrown its present site and that councillors referred to the school as if it was not an integral part of the village community.

  7. The Green (highway). At the School Travel meeting on 09/02/12, it was suggested that The Green should be made a one-way road. Should the Parish Council revisit this request that has been fully investigated several times in the past?

  8. Playground inspections by councillors. To consider action on comments made by councillors on their inspection forms since the last meeting.

  9. Proposed merger between East and West Sussex Fire & Rescue Services. To note that although merger remains the desired way forward, government funding and financial issues must first be resolved. DCLG has, so far, been unable to provide sufficient clarity on a solution to the financial issues and, therefore, no commitment will currently be made to any merger process or timetable.

  10. Junction improvements Ladybird Lane and Chapel Hill
    1. To note proposed extension of the 30mph speed limit in connection with the alterations at the junction of Ladybird Lane and Chapel Hill.
    2. To note that the work is expected to be finished by the end of April 2012 (information from CEO). The Sports Association Secretary has been warned.

  11. Environmental Protection Act 2003
    1. To note the copy Letter from the Minister for Tourism and Heritage to Greg Barker MP regarding the Government's proposal to allow public entertainment that is currently regularised through the Act.
    2. To consider whether the Council wishes to object to the granting of a Premises Licence at Blackbrooks Garden Centre to R Winchester & Son for the following: Retail sale of alcohol (on & off sales), 08:00-21:00 Monday-Saturday and Sunday 10:00 to 16:00.

Aim 3 To help provide Amenities and Services in Sedlescombe

  1. Ex-Budget Car Company site. To consider the current situation. Members provided with confidential briefing note.

  2. Sportsfield. To consider the following:
    1. Parking for the Sportsfield (please see Clerk's briefing note).
    2. Portacabin at Sportsfield Car Park.
    3. Garage at Sportsfield.
    4. Pavilion.
    5. New Terms and Conditions for hirers of the Sportsfield.
    6. Updated constitution of the Sports Association.

  3. Tennis courts (please see Clerk's briefing note). To consider current position.

  4. Rural bus stops. To consider a request from a local bus user for a new bus stop in the centre of the Village.

Aim 4 To support business and rural employment in Sedlescombe

  1. Sedlescombe Directory. Advertising by businesses.

  2. Tables for local businesses at Annual Parish Assembly on 17/04/12.

Mrs Pauline J Raymond

Clerk/RFO, Sedlescombe Parish Council

01424 870508

7 March 2012